Mistress of Stitchjitsu

Over the weekend I finished my version of the Marsh Tee by Amy Palmer.Β  When I saw the pattern, it was love at first sight. I knew it was going to be a challenge, a real stretch of my current skill level, but when you’re in love ….

… all reason leaves you πŸ˜‚

So boldly off I went in the direction of my dream.

It was a bit of a tense affair. Like I said, I’m still new to lace knitting, this is but my 3rd attempt at it (here’s the 1st, and the second).Β  I started over 3 times I believe, getting further up the top each time. I wish there was a way you can rip off just a few wrong stitches (or offending rows) and go back seamlessly to a preferred point in the pattern [as with crochet]. Whenever I make a mistake in lace knitting I just frog all the way to stitch zero because the lace pattern is too confusing for me to decipher in a way that I can go back in without botching up the pattern.

IMG_E6313

If you are interested in making this beauty I would suggest that you stitch the back panel first, then the front. I did the front panel first, according to instructions. But when both front & back panels were finished there was such a discrepancy in length that I had to add some more rows to the back panel. But since all the detail is in the back, this was not a very bright idea. I should’ve ripped off a few rows off the front panel instead (now why do I think of this just now πŸ˜†).

IMG_E6368

I also made a couple other mistakes – yarn in a dark color next time and of the type that gives better stitch definition so the pattern can be more pronounced.

I’m definitely wiser now 😁 and expect to do better next time. I learned how to make a V-neck this round too so, that’s a bonus. Having said this, methinks my next immediate projects will be crochet for the time being. I need to de-stress πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

10 Comments Add yours

1. Iva Stencel says:

Far out … that is a beautifully done piece of work πŸ‘

Liked by 1 person

1. fifiandriri says:

Aww, thank you so much ☺️ It was serious work and I’m glad I persevered because I’ve gotten such an education in lace knitting from the experience πŸ˜ƒ

Liked by 1 person

2. rosetheforestelf says:

Awesome! I don’t have any patience for knitting, though these kind of things make me want to be able to do this πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. fifiandriri says:

Lace knitting does require a lot of patience, yes πŸ˜€ Thanks a lot! πŸ™‚

3. That is awesome! You did a fantastic job! I recently heard of a method that is great for lace knitting. It’s called a lifeline. I am not sure if you thread it into a row that you know is correct or if you add it while doing the row. I am sure you can Google it. But when you place it into a row that you know is perfect, you can do a few rows and if you don’t have the correct stitch count or the pattern is off, You can rip back to the lifeline.

Liked by 1 person

1. fifiandriri says:

That trick makes a lot of sense. Thanks, I’ll look it up right away! πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person

4. This is beautiful! You have amazing talent. Seriously, I would have never even noticed the “imperfections” you mentioned. Besides, I think those quirky spots add character – something that only occurs in a homemade item that was made with love. πŸ™‚ Keep up the good work!

Liked by 1 person

1. fifiandriri says:

Aww, thank you SO much for your kind words & encouragement πŸ’– πŸ’– You just gave me more confidence to continue improving my lace knitting skills. I really appreciate it πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

5. WOL says:

There are videos on YouTube that show you how to put lifelines in. They are a sanity saver when you’re doing patterns that have lace. You could put a lifeline every – say – ten rows and mark the place in the pattern or chart where you put the lifeline (or if the lace pattern has a pattern repeat, at the end of each pattern repeat). Then if you have to frog a bit out, it will only frog out to the last lifeline and stop, and because you’ve marked that place in the pattern, you know exactly where you are.

Liked by 1 person

1. fifiandriri says:

You’re the second person to mention this and I think it’s a great idea, a sanity saver indeed πŸ™‚ I’ll definitely look it up before I embark on my next lace knitting project. Thank you so much! ❀ ❀